Crime Log: published Thursday, April 4, 2019

Editor’s note: The Crime Log is based on the most recent and detailed information provided by local law enforcement. This week’s Seal Beach log is based on a detailed version of the logs for March 23 to March 26. The combined documents represent 75 pages of information. Space does not permit listing of all incidents or arrests.


Saturday, March 23

Reckless Driver (Priority 2)—8:37 a.m.—Pacific Coast Highway and Seal Beach Boulevard—The caller told 911 that a driver was cutting off other cars and almost running into cars. As of 8:38 a.m., the car in question was behind the caller. As of 8:40 a.m., the car was going northbound on Pacific Coast Highway. The caller was no longer traveling in the same direction as the car in question. Police unit 106 responded and 107 was en route. However, police were unable to locate the car. Incident response time: 4 minutes 52 seconds.

Car Burglary (Priority 3)—8:57 a.m.—Surfside Avenue (Surfside Colony)—The caller said that sometime during the night, someone smashed the window of the caller’s car. According to the “notes” in the log entry, the loss was an item taken from a backpack in the back seat. Some details were blacked out. Police unit 107 took a report. Incident response time: 5 minutes 56 seconds.

Damaged Car (Priority 3)—4:48 p.m.—Lampson Avenue and Seal Beach Boulevard—The caller said a “wheel” came off a car and rolled across traffic, striking the caller’s car. As of 4:49 p.m., the caller said the wheel had damaged two different cars. Police unit 106 provided unit M7 with back up. Police requested a towing service. Unit M7 took a report. Incident response time: 2 minutes 2 seconds.

Sunday, March 24

Disturbance, Party (College Park East)—1:56 a.m.—Candleberry Avenue—An anonymous caller complained about a party with loud music and provided police with a possible address. Police unit 207, backed up by unit S20, advised/warned/cautioned the individuals responsible for the noise. As of 2:29 a.m., the partiers turned the music down. Incident response time: 24 minutes 21 seconds.

Reckless Driver (Priority 2)—12:19 p.m.—Seal Beach Boulevard and Westminster Avenue—The caller reported 10 cars racing northbound on Seal Beach Boulevard. They were approaching the Westminster intersection. The caller lost observation of the cars. The caller speculated they might have gone eastbound on Westminster. Police unit M7 searched but was unable to locate the reportedly racing cars. Incident response time: 5 minutes 29 seconds.

Car Blocking (Priority 3)—5:07 p.m.—Fourth Street and Ocean Avenue—The caller said a car was blocking the crosswalk on Fourth Street, north of Ocean Avenue. Police unit M7 determined the car was legally parked. Incident response time: 15 minutes 50 seconds.

Citizen Assist (Priority 3)—8:22 p.m.—Seal Beach Boulevard and St. Cloud Drive—The caller was at the bus stop, requesting assistance. She was on a scooter and didn’t have any family or friends to help her. She was staying at a location in Cypress. Police unit 206 assisted her with unit S20 providing back up. Incident response time: 24 minutes 44 seconds.

Suspicious Person (Priority 2)—9:40 p.m.—First Street—The caller said a man had been loitering all day. He told the caller he doesn’t live there. The caller said the man told the caller that he got locked out of his car. The caller told police that he appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. As of 9:53 p.m., a second caller reported seeing the same person 20 minutes earlier near the pool area. As of 9:59 p.m., neither police unit 207 nor unit 241 were able to locate the man in question. Incident response time: 11 minutes 20 seconds.

Transients (Priority 3)—10:29 p.m.—Street not provided in log—Police unit 206 checked on a homeless encampment with back up provided by units 207 and S20. The check was self-initiated by the officer and so no response time was provided in the log. Unit 206 was on-scene for the longest period of time at 58 minutes 32 seconds. Unit S20 was on-scene for five fewer seconds than 206.

Monday, March 25

Disturbance, Noise (Priority 3)—12:09 a.m.—11th Street—The caller complained about an individual coughing loudly. The caller had apparently asked the coughing person to close the windows and that person had refused to do so. Police unit 207 did not hear any noise coming out of the apartment. Police apparently counseled the subject of the complaint about the on-going noise issue. Incident response time: 5 minutes 10 seconds.

Transient (Priority 3)—8:16 a.m.—Pacific Coast Highway—The caller said a transient man was sleeping at the rear door of the location. He was gone when police unit S19 arrived. Unit 106 was apparently available to provide back-up but did not participate. Incident response time: 33 minutes 48 seconds.

Transient (Priority 3)—9:01 a.m.—Westminster Avenue—The caller said a transient man was bothering customers in the drive through area and kept coming inside the restaurant. The caller had asked him to leave and he refused. Police unit S19, backed up by unit 141, advised/warned/cautioned the man in question against continuing his behavior. Incident response time: 5 minutes 33 seconds.

Welfare Check (Priority 2)—10:30 a.m.—Seal Beach Boulevard—The caller said a woman who was begging at the location had a small child with her. The caller thought the child appeared as though the woman was not taking care of the child. Police unit 106 responded, backed up by unit 107 and with unit 141 available to provide further back up. Unit 106 cited the woman—the log did not specify the nature of the citation—and released her. Police were contacted by a man who was upset about the woman getting a citation. Incident response time: 6 minutes 17 seconds.

Petty Theft Report (Priority 3)—2:48 p.m.—17th Street (Old Town)—The caller reported the loss of sunglasses and Lotto tickets taken from the caller’s unlocked car. Police unit 107 took a report. Incident response time: 7 minutes 44 seconds.

Tuesday, March 26

Suspicious Circumstances (Priority 2)—12:29 a.m.—Seal Way—The caller heard someone walking up the stairs toward the rear of the property. The caller also heard a man talking in the vicinity of the garages. However, police were unable to locate the source of the suspicious sounds. Police unit 207 responded with unit S24 available for back up. Incident response time: 4 minutes 54 seconds.


Wednesday, March 20

Car Burgalry—3:48 p.m.—Corporate Center Drive—Officers were called to investigate a vehicle burglary in which credit cards, a passport and other items were taken from an unlocked car. Police said five credit cards were stolen and the burglars attempted to use one of them but was declined. Police said all five of the cards were cancelled and they are investigating.

Grand Theft—7:31 p.m.—Los Alamitos Boulevard—Police are investigating the theft of a phone after a reporting party said the lost phone had been discarded and was being returned to its rightful owner. Police said the phone was picked up by another person who was “coordinating” its return.

Thursday, March 21

Road Rage—5:18 p.m.—Humbolt Street and San Joaquin Avenue—Police began a search for a car reportedly involved in a road rage incident. Police said a silver, 4-door sedan cut off a driver on Humbolt and the driver reported it as a “road rage” incident. No one was injured and the reporting party could not provide a detailed description of the other vehicle.

Bond Fraud—8:40 p.m.—A woman called police after receiving a letter from a Temecula Bail Bond company alleging that she owed $1825 for a bond she earlier signed. The woman told police said she had never signed a bond. Police said the company had not provided any paperwork to “confirm they were defrauded.” Police suggest the woman could have been the victim of identity theft.

Internet Scam—10:20 pm.—Katella Avenue—Police were notified by a reporting party that his 63-year-old mother was going to meet someone she met over the internet and was worried about her safety. Police called the number provided and learned it was a real estate scam. Police said the man was advised that the “goal of the scam was financial gain not physical harm.”

David N. Young of the Event News-Enterprise contributed to this article.