The Seal Beach Chamber Summer Concert Series kicked off this week. The next concert will feature the U2 tribute band Hollywood U2 performing an endless stream of songs from “With or Without You” to “Vertigo.”
All concerts will be held at Eisenhower Park at the foot of the Seal Beach Pier from 6 to 8 p.m. on Wednesdays through Sept. 1. The final concert of 2010 will be on Saturday, Oct. 9 at 4 p.m.
This year, the Chamber has expanded the band lineup again this year, bringing a total of 10 concerts to Seal Beach, promising rockin’ entertainment each week all the way up to Labor Day and then a huge finale on Oct. 9 with the Sin Twins.
The 10th concert will coincide with Seal Beach’s Founder’s Day, which is a celebration of Seal Beach’s 95th birthday.
The concerts will also feature a “Vendor Village” from 2 to 8 p.m. on each of the concert dates. “These summer outdoor concerts give us a great opportunity to get together as a community while celebrating summer and the outdoor lifestyle we enjoy in Seal Beach and the surrounding communities,” said George Banker, a Chamber board member.
“The concerts were incredibly popular the last two years—I saw people putting out beach blankets and lawn chairs early in the morning to save a seat for family and friends,” Banker said.
The concerts are offered free to the community, thanks to the support of the major concert sponsors Jim Klisanin of Baytown Realty and Alan Brawer of Verizon FIOS.
“As a local business owner, I think the summer concert series is a great way for local businesses to give back to the community and also have the community come together for a great summer celebration each Wednesday night,” said Eric Lenahan, another member of the Chamber Board of Directors.
“As a local resident, my family and I look forward to these summer concerts and look forward to seeing all the families in town enjoying the great bands that will be playing,” Lenahan said.
Fast becoming a favorite summer tradition, the concert series draws everyone from groups of friends and neighbors to families with young children, all who gather up beach blankets to enjoy some sweet tunes and a picnic dinner under blue summer skies.
“We have surfed, swam and enjoyed Seal Beach since the early 1960s and feel a special kinship with the town and its people” said Roger Douglas, a longtime Seal Beach resident. Douglas is a member of the Elm Street Band, which is scheduled to perform on Sept. 1.
“The Summer Concert Series is a continuation of our relationship with Seal Beach. A good time will be had by all,” Douglas said.
“I really look forward to our Seal Beach Summer Concerts each year as a way to celebrate the beginning of summer. There are beautiful sunsets by the pier and a great time to see family and friends,” said January Eilers. “There is wonderful food and great shopping readily accessible on Main Street. I am so excited for 10 concerts in 2010! See you at the beach.”
Concert series organizers have planned an eclectic mix of musical styles for future performances:
• July 21—Robby Armstrong: Enjoy original music along with guitar and a band.
• July 28—Nobody Cares: A nine-piece reggae/ska style band with a rhythm section performing a blend of covers and original music.
• Aug. 4—Danny Dean and the Homewreckers. Danny Dean leads this ’50s-style group with great guitar and smooth vocals. The stand up bass player is John Hattan, (from Brian Setzer’s band), Jack D. on drums, Bob Crail on Sax and rockin’ Robin Canada on keyboards.
• Aug. 11—Emperors: Southern California’s classic rock band.
• Aug. 18—Eddie Montana: An all star cast of performers from three decades of performances featuring Inspirational Gospel, Country and Rock.
• Aug. 25—The Regular Guys: Enjoy this distinctive brand of funk-blues, with great covers and many original tunes.
• Sept. 1—The Elm Street Band: Long-standing classic rock band, playing favorite tunes from the ’60s to the ’90s.
• Oct. 9 (Saturday)—Sin Twins Rhythm & Blues Revue: An R & B grand performance, complete with a horn section, offering tunes for singing and dancing.
Parking for the Seal Beach Chamber Summer Concert Series is available at the pier and costs $6 per vehicle.
For more information, call the Chamber at (562) 799.0179, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.sealbeachchamber.org.