The organizers of the Seal Beach Christmas Parade are seeking entries for the 2018 event. This year’s theme: A Red Ruby Christmas. This hometown parade fits well with our city’s image as being “Mayberry by the Sea.” More than 3,000 participants in more than 100 entries entertain approximately 15,000 spectators along the three block stretch of Main Street from the Pier to Pacific Coast Highway. Entries are asked to perform the entire parade route to offer all spectators a grand holiday experience. Entries are limited and we will surely turn away some applications due to space. The deadline is Oct. 15 but organizers highly encourage entries to be submitted as soon as possible. We expect to fill all open parade entry spots in late September
The parade is produced by the Seal Beach Lions Foundation with support from the city of Seal Beach. The presenting sponsor is OPGI – Original Parts Group. It is important that the group leader ensure that all members of your entry are aware of the rules and conditions so that we have a safe, fun and festive parade.
The rules and conditions are:
1. Applications must be complete and the entry fee paid before they will be considered. Applications can be completed on-line (preferred) or mailed to the address on the application.
2. This is a three- block “continuous motion” parade. Entries are expected to entertain with minimal interruption during the entire 20-minute parade route. Forward motion is required at all times. Parade participants may NOT stop or slow down at any time during this three-block parade. Vehicles and groups will move at approximately 2 miles per hour and should keep a 30 to 40-foot distance between entries.
3. Judging will be done in various locations along the entire parade route. Entries should entertain and perform during the entire three-block parade route. Prizes will be awarded based on various decoration and entertainment criteria. Judging criteria and categories are listed separately.
4. The parade route is Main Street from the Pier to Pacific Coast Highway. It starts at the Pier promptly at 7pm. Final entries will start by 8:10pm. The parade ends at 8:30 p.m.
All entries must be lined up no later than 6 p.m. Late arrivals may not be able to participate.
5. Absolutely NO Throwing or tossing candy or other items from vehicles, floats or walking groups as this could lead to serious injury to spectators. Walkers may pass out candy along the parade edge. No paper handouts are permitted.
6. All entries must have some form of identification banner or sign that can be seen from 25 feet away.
We recommend Sign-A-Rama in Long Beach if you need signs or banners.
7. Only one Santa and he has already been selected. No Santa costumes allowed.
8. Entries are limited to no more than five motorized vehicles.
9. Walking groups must have an entertainment component, e.g. Singing, music, dance, drill, etc. and must spread out to the width of the parade route (20’ wide).
10. Entries and all vehicles are encouraged to decorate with the parade theme in mind but at a minimum, should have a holiday theme.
11. Chaperones for all groups must be kept to a minimum so as not to hinder the spirit of the entry.
12. Please note that four announcers and Cable TV cameras will be located along the parade route on the left (west) side of the street.
13. No alcohol allowed in the staging areas or along the parade route.
14. No squealing of tires or revving of vehicle engines.
15. Each entry will receive an entry number when lining up for the parade. Please display this number on the front left side (driver’s side) of the very first unit of your entry, this includes walking units.
16. Themes that are considered political or controversial will not be allowed.
17. Floats cannot exceed 15 feet in height due to overhead obstructions.
18. There is no reserved parking for parade entrants except for vehicles entered into the parade.
19. The parade will run rain or shine.
20. Entry Fees:
Seal Beach Business Entry—$180
Other Business Entry—$230
Non-profit or Schools within Seal Beach, Rossmoor or Los Alamitos—$120
Non-Profit or Schools from other surrounding areas—$170
Large Group Fee (Groups of 75 or more participants)—$230
Sponsor entry fees are $650- $1,000. Appropriate publicity and preferred line up locations are included in sponsorships. Contact Parade Chair for details.
21. Fees help pay for parade costs with remaining funds going towards the betterment of the community. Fees paid are to the Seal Beach Lions Foundation – 501c3 Nonprofit # 37-1613518
22. There are no refunds for cancellation after fees have been paid.
23. The parade committee insists that you have fun at this iconic Seal Beach community event.
If there are any questions about the rules and conditions, please contact parade chairman Scott Newton at 562 537-3955 or email: email@example.com.